Friday, December 14, 2012

"Testimony Thursday" (a day late)


 A note from Leah.... I have had the privilege of knowing Heather Saegart and her family for about 5 years {maybe Longer} and I have watched Heather grow into a beautiful young lady who is striving after godliness. I am honored to have her share her testimony of salvation with you all through my blog. If any of you are interested in posting your testimony Let me know. =) -Leah 

Heather....

When I first learned how to write, I scribbled "I love God" or "Jesus loves me" over everything. When I first was able to answer questions, I'd answer "What's your favorite book?" with "The Bible". And if I was asked "Who is your best friend?", I'd answer promptly, "God." And as a little girl, God, the Bible, and praise songs were all I knew. And I loved it. But as I got older (10-14 yrs. old), I started straying from that childhood love of God, and moved into my own little world- a little apart from Christ! Nothing major or serious, in fact, I played the Christian part pretty well on the outside. But when I hit 13, I began developing an attitude towards my immediate family. Somehow I thought I knew more than everyone else. But dad and mom would not permit a bad attitude, so after a long discussion, I'd say that I was sorry and say that I would try and do better. And I usually did try, but it only lasted about a month and a half before I lapsed back into being a sourpuss. Then another discussion, another repentance  another month and half (give or take) of being good, then the cycle repeated. This went on for two years. 



Before I turned 15, I was pretty bad. Although being an perfect little angel in public, I withdrew from my family, and soon, I just wanted to be left alone. Now it happened on August 31, 2012, the beginning of the school year  that I was having difficulty with Algebra 2, and dad, the mathmetician of the family, was doing his best to help me. And of course, I was not cooperating. So the day was spent with dad and mom, trying to figure out what was wrong with me, because they knew my poor attitude was only a subset of the real problem. The "real problem" was underneath our noses the whole time, but everyone was afraid to even think the words: Heather simply must not be a Christian. We had talked all that day, and the discussion got tense at times. When night came, we all were really tired. Wore out, dad, mom and Sarah (who is always there next to me in my deepest problems) went in the back bedroom and closed the door to further talk about my problem while I went into the bathroom to get ready for bed. Well, I was really upset and unsettled, and I was just kind of muttering to myself about how unfair everyone was getting towards me. Then I just stopped. 

I slapped my hand down on the bathroom sink and said to myself half aloud, "OK, something's got to change." I just stood there for several minutes, just staring hard at my reflection in the mirror. Slowly I sank to my knees and sat down on the floor. After that, it was all tears and inward turmoil. I struggled for maybe fifteen minutes, and then slowly it began to be tears of sorrow for the things I had been doing wrong. Soon, I began pleading with God over and over to change me, and give me a new start, a new outlook, and a new attitude. Well, I don't what went on in the spiritual realm, but after a half and hour, I was recreated. Shaking, I got up, stepped into the shower and, call me strange or not, but I gave myself a mini baptism! I was so happy, I couldn't stop smiling. Nothing like this had even happened to me! I walked out of the bathroom at 9:30 p.m. a new person. I actually felt God standing right next to me. I went into the hallway and stood next to dad and mom's closed bedroom door where they all were inside, talking in low, sad, hushed voices about me and my problem. All I could do was smile all the more and whisper to myself, "They're talking about the old Heather." I knocked on the door and asked if I could come in. The answer was, "Not just yet."


 So I went into my bedroom, sat down on the floor and pulled out my bible to read. During this time, I felt heavily attacked by the devil with thoughts saying, "They won't believe you" or "You're conversion wasn't that great; they won't be impressed. You're not going to change." But I prayed each time and sure enough I felt better. Then the door opened and they called me in the bedroom. I walked in to see three sad faces, and dad, mom and Sarah were all a little puzzled at my smiling, glowing face. So I said, "Before you guys say anything, I've got to tell you what just happened." And I did. You would not believe the reaction I got from them! They all were as happy and as pleased as they could be. It was amazing. I like to describe the whole scenario as, "My past suddenly being cut off, and starting all over." I literally was glowing, and everyone even said that I looked different. I remember saying, "My life won't be perfect, but it's going to get a lot better." 
That's how powerful a conversion is. And you know, before all that, I never was able to say that there was a time in my life where I really "got saved", but now I can say that I was born again on August 31, 2012.

Well, there it is...It was probably a little surprising for you, but that's how it happened! :) Thank the Lord! I'm still growing!  -Heather

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! Great testimony Heather!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great testimony, Heather! So happy for you, and I can't wait to hear how you grow in the Lord in the future!

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    In Christ,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes... I'm Sarah, Heather's sister, and I can personally testify that this conversion was real and it was amazing. Heather changed so much that night. She was like a totally different person when she came in the room. The Lord really accomplished a great work in her heart that night. The devil lost his grip on her. Jesus set her free from herself and her bondage in sin! Please pray for her that the Lord will strengthen her to continue to overcome!!!
    Luv you, girl! You have a powerful testimony. Use it to glorify the Lord!

    ReplyDelete